WALK WHILE YOU CAN 2020 IN MEMORY OF FR. TONY COOTE
Hope starts with one step. Change happens with many.
We will never forget what Fr Tony Coote did for Motor Neurone Disease. In July 2018, five months after his own diagnosis of MND and in a wheelchair, he completed an extraordinary walk from Donegal to Cork, a distance of over 550 kilometres.
It took four weeks on the road travelling from town to town in all weather conditions but in the end a remarkable €700,000 was raised for the IMNDA and MND Research. From these miraculous funds, we were able to employ a fourth nurse. That’s the power of a walk and one man’s incredible strength and determination!
Sadly, on the 28th August 2019 Fr Tony passed away at just 55 years old.
Walk While You Can
During this time of uncertainty, we can’t hold our annual event in the Phoenix Park this September as planned. However that is not going to stop us! You can still help us get through what continues to be a very challenging time. It’s now up to all of us to ensure that Walk While You Can continues to raise urgently needed funds for people living with MND.
So let’s walk while we can, where we can and continue what Tony started! Together we can make a difference and keep Fr Tony’s legacy going. He himself found hope in times of adversity so we must do the same.
So how can you help?
- Choose a day that suits you this autumn!
- Plan your 5km route. If you knew Fr. Tony then your chosen route might have special meaning or it could just be your favourite local walk.
- Complete the IMNDA’s registration form.
- Set up your Just Giving fundraising page (click on the orange Start Fundraising button on the right) – your page will automatically be linked with the overall Walk While You Can campaign. From your page you can also create a Team and invite others to join.
- Invite family, friends, colleagues, even your community to join the walk (adhering to all government regulations around mass gatherings and social distancing of course).
- Share, share, share! Awareness is key. Please share your page across all social media channels using #walkwhileyoucan to keep the momentum going.
- Complete your walk and make sure to engage with your supporters. Let them know how you did by posting up photos of your walk on your Just Giving page.
If walking isn’t your thing but you still want to support the campaign, you can make a donation right here.
Claire Byrne is once again our fantastic walk ambassador.
“Your support means vital funds will be raised to provide people who have MND with the crucial support and care that they and their families need and deserve.”
During this time of uncertainty, we once more look to Tony’s leadership and courage for inspiration. When it’s hard to get up and go, think of the people who can’t get up and go.
His legacy lives on and this year, like two years ago we are asking you to Walk While You Can and help us continue what Tony started.